Being an Anti-Woman!!



Usually I stood at the side of sliding door of metro coach. Usually it was densely packed with office goers and students and usually I was reading a book with headphone over my ears. I was listening Kenny G’s melodious saxophone. It was soothing me a bit and was helping me coping with the nasty reality waiting for me whole day. And then came a jolt, the train was suddenly halted and the momentum shuddered everybody inside the coach. For some good reason driver had used the brake and for the same reason, the passengers standing without any support on their back, severely leaned forward first and then went back as they were.

A woman in her forties was murmuring holding a book, presumably a religious one with lots of chants. Her eyes were closed and she stood facing me. She had a short height, medium weight and black hair with few white strings. The sudden jolt abruptly interrupted her murmuring cum prayer and pushed her away all over me. In panic, she tried to get hold of the steel rod but before she could hold, she fell on me. My book couldn’t endure the thrash and as my hands involuntarily went on to grab the woman, the book fell on floor and the woman’s shoes were on it.

Obviously the woman didn’t thank me later or apologise for stampeding my book. She blamed the driver, metro and government; and went back to murmur. The front cover of the new book was blackened with dirt and torn a bit. It was a gift from wife, and moreover I felt possessive because it was a Ruskin Bond. I was disoriented and opened my bag and kept the book in. I paused Kenny G in I-Pod. I was already in reality, and it was nasty. Then came another abrupt halt.


What happened? This time the woman balanced superbly, she didn’t fell on me, but a poor creature behind her couldn’t bear the jolt and totally fell on her. And before he could apologise to her, to our horror, she turned around and slapped that guy hard. Yes! It was a really hard slap, not for the sound it produced, but the brown cheek of that guy became crimson. A squabble began. The woman accused the guy of touching her back inappropriately and willingly. The guy denied with a helpless rage in his ruddy eyes. Co-passengers stood there silently. And I resumed Kenny G in I-Pod, closed my eyes and smiled. Who would believe that sometimes ago during the first jolt when the woman fell on me, her breasts came against my stomach heavily and her hand (didn’t know which one) touched my private part! I knew it was an accident. I didn’t mind. But watching the guy being humiliated for no reason, I thought I too could have slapped that woman. But then what the hell! Who wanted to be termed as anti-woman? 

(photo: thehindu.com)

Comments