An Opera of a Father



Let me tell you a story. Many years ago, in ancient Nigeria, there lived a little brave girl named Komu, whose father was the best farmer ever. One day the evil Queen became ill and bad people blamed her father, as the Queen ate millet from his farm. The farmer was taken away as a prisoner, and Komu became sad.

Days and months passed. Komu missed her father and one day she wiped her tears off and decided to rescue him. She sold everything she had and bought a horse. On her way to the palace, she passed a village, where crops were dead due to a terrifying disease and people were famished. But watching the hungry little girl, the villagers gave her their last food. When crossing the Niger River, watching the thirsty little girl, a blue fish gave her the last water drop of dried river. When she reached the bottom of the big mountain, on top of which evil Queen resided, a butterfly from a dead Obe tree gave her two wings before dying out of heat.

Komu rode straight to the top of the mountain and was surprised to see the monstrous palace. The evil Queen sat on a throne made of bones and skulls. She hissed, "Who are you little girl?" 

Komu told her about her father. The Queen had forgotten about the imprisoned farmer, but she was so evil that she laughed thinking about killing both the father and daughter together just for fun. She ordered her guards to bring the farmer in her court and seeing her father in shackles, Komu cried aloud. The farmer also began weeping, seeing her little daughter. The evil Queen ordered the guards to kill them. The guards took out their swords and ran towards them. Komu shouted, "If you don't kill us then I promise to give you all of my food'.

The guards were famished but they didn't believe her. How much food could be there in her small purse? The Queen laughed wickedly. But then Komu opened her purse and took out the last food, the villagers gave her. The guards gasped in surprise, when they saw that the tiny amount of food grew bigger and bigger. They all threw their swords away and jumped on the food. 

The evil Queen hissed and took the shape of a snake. She breathed fire on the food and on them. But Komu again opened her small purse and took out the last drop of water of Niger, a blue fish gave to her. It turned into a flood and extinguished the fire. Now the Queen became very angry and she slithered towards them. Komu picked her father and jumped from the mountain. The evil Queen jumped too. While Komu and her father were falling towards the ground below, she remembered the wings, the butterfly gave to her. She took them out and they began flapping.

The story could’ve ended here Oishikaa. It should’ve. They both should have lived forever. But you know life is never fair. Like me. Like the farmer. And so, before they landed on the ground, the evil Queen threw a last ball of fire and Komu’s wings burned. The snake Queen fell on the ground and died instantly. But while he was in the air, Komu’s father embraced her daughter and ensured to fall first. Komu was saved, but she shrieked sharp watching her father being laid down among a pool of blood. He was in a lot of pain, but he took her hand into his and said, “I am so proud of you. You saved me. You are so brave”.  Listening to this, Komu's eyes filled with tears. The father said with a smile, “Don’t cry. Please take my last drop of tear into your palm. In this way, I shall be always with you.”

Komu held the teardrop in her palm and buried her father under the dried Ube tree. She slept under that tree that night. And when she woke up in the morning, she found herself covered with a white blanket of mist. The Ube tree was full of leaves, fruits and birds.

Komu touched the mist, and she knew it was her father. He promised to always be with her.

And from that day, every dawn, mist comes down to visit all the daughters of this world.

Oishikaa, I wish I could become that mist and feel you against my heart every morning. I cannot tell how much I miss your tiny little arms, which you did wrap around my neck, while mumbling some incomprehensible words! I long to understand those words of yours and I wish, you show me all the interesting and funny things in your scintillating world. I love to imagine in your way and play your games. I want to be amused everytime you laugh. I wish I were a part of your beguiling life.


Dear, I am your biggest fan. I adore your every move, even sudden burps, which you don't seem to mind at all. My heart breaks down to pieces every time you cry, even when I know you are pretending or your demands are too crazy to be possibly fulfilled. I hate your tears. Period. Then, I wish I were the owner of this whole universe. I could give you even the Pole Star! Or, offer you my last tears.

I remember the first day, when you gripped my finger, like nobody ever held, not even your mother. In that milky white hospital, on a tiny cream bed I watched you with awe. I couldn't believe that you were mine. I asked your mother. Her eyes were tired and encircled with black spots, but she smiled. You see, I am always the silly, as your big sister calls me. You were unearthly beautiful, and I thought, 'Will you ever know who am I?'

The question remains. Do you seriously know who I am? Do you know that every single night, before changing my damp office shirt with brownish collar, I die to see you only once through a grainy video screen? And the days you recognise me, my heart jumps off the cliff, and when you don't care about the weirdo-beardo on the other side of the globe, I smile-hide my frustration on precisely everything. I know that you are small, but you should know that I'm not big either. You need toys to be happy, I need you.

Your mother keeps telling me all about you. She sends me pictures and videos of you. You know your numbers now and tons of words; you know the shapes and letters; you even know how to tell papa. And though your mumma stresses that you do, I wonder, do you genuinely know that the face with greasy texture, who keeps asking you all silly questions, as he is, in a faint hope that you share some moments with him, is your papa?

We are not supposed to be this faraway. But we are. Like Komu and her father. Our journey was meant to be awesome. I ought to tell you my made-up stories of brave princesses and dreaded monsters, which your sister still loves to listen and hum you new lullabies on my guitar. I should put you on my shoulders and show you around. I would love to watch Peppa Pig with you and roll down on the sofa everytime you say 'paa pii' instead of Peppa Pig. I just want to do those very simple things which every father on this planet does. But some fathers aren’t lucky, I guess.

Oishikaa, soon, you will also know that your papa is a chronic liar, as your big sister knows now. He is bad at keeping promises. Again, he isn’t with you at your birthday. It seems as if the whole world conspires to keep us apart. 

But as silly as I am, I always can become mist. That a father can do. I can touch your cheek and peck a kiss, and whisper you every morning, “I shall be always with you, my princess.”

Can’t wait to cuddle you,

Papa.



Comments

Prachi said…
Wow! What a narration. Can feel your emotions throughout.
Anonymous said…
NICE, GUESS WHO