Why Government Thinks That I’m Stupid?

It is being said and commonly believed that ‘anything’ matures with time. Be that a country, a society or an individual. But, when I look back to that ‘anything’, I find the notion is absolutely ridiculous and illusive, as I haven’t met a single entity in my whole life, which ‘matures’ with time, rather it destructs itself slowly. Like a nation, which rises as of Phoenix from century old oppression possessing high morale and lofty ideology, slowly but steadily advances towards the oblivious dereliction. Like a society, whose birth was marked with equity and justice, ends up in a bloodied Mexican Standoff. And, like a person, who begins life with a promising freedom, slowly becomes a slave of self.

Yes, I am pained. The education, I got in my childhood, seems to be in contrary to what I am supposed to do now. The rise of Centre-right or the befallen Centre-left in India, does not pain me much, as I am a firm believer of change. The gradual radicalization of public institutions is also not my concern, as the resilience of my country as shown in history books is remarkably high. But, what pains me most is my government’s presumption that I’m stupid. It is well understood and somewhat ‘logical’ that no government can stand for free flow of knowledge. China, North Korea or middle east may be at extreme end, but all others belong to somewhere middle. And we know, middles are always dangerous, unpredictable and hypocrite. Though I respect my country, but if I begin to accept the government as the official representative and spokes-agency of it, my respect turns to pity. I wish I could slap their faces, when they speak about the multi-culturism and pluralism in a parrot voice and the very next moment, ban a thing or issue gag order. Who are they to teach me what to read, what to listen or what to think? Who gave them the right? I have read the holy Constitution and nowhere has it snatched away my right to access knowledge. So like a real jerk don’t blame on that stupendous book of authority.


I cannot and will not forget that the legacy of free thinking runs in my blood, as I have born in a land, where a religion was scripted, in a single instance of history of this planet, encompassing every possible way of life and thoughts, even non-believers were not abandoned. As a land of dissidents, India religiously allowed numerous castes, creeds and religions to stay or propagate. And such a brand value is still being used as primary force by the successive governments, while projecting India as a soft power globally. Just think about the other pathetic forces of India. But, when they are hell-bend to destroy that sole image India can bank upon, earned through several millennia, a question to be raised, who should be sued in charge of sedition?

Who’ll tell these morons that banning things is not the ‘SOLUTION’. But, the overused ‘Pakistan approach’ seems to be the favorite in government. If you can’t face it, ‘BAN’ it. Literature bans are so common here that, even media does not keep track and cover. Latest big-shot victim Mr. Perumal was humiliated in the chamber of District Magistrate, and forced to go in literal exile and all for writing just a fiction, and that too based on a historical truth. Afterwards, government like an abusive father spreads his control and bans an AIB show on charge of vulgarity and obscenity. In a country, where the ruling party workers, even leaders hurl obscene words and gestures towards opposition in public, all in the name of election campaign (as seen in Delhi recently) and they are hailed as true political warriors; the comedians, organizers and spectators in a closed door private function can be arrested and booked for obscenity and be banned. If you cannot laugh at yourself, should I be blamed and banned? And then the infamous documentary, ‘India’s daughter’! After watching it on YouTube, my hatred towards the rapists and misogynists has multiplied manifold, as the true intention of the documentary and in total opposite of government’s apprehension of glorifying the rapist’s version. I have a question to those who are against this documentary. If you don’t want to air or publish the rapist’s justification of his heinous crime, why you are processing him through a rule of law and not letting the public lynch him like Dimapur incident? Why you are wasting so much of tax-payer’s money? Why defendant lawyers are arguing against the just and obvious capital punishment for him and why the rapist can justify his action in a court, before a judge or during police investigation in his own right, but cannot do that in public or before camera?

No doubt, the documentary is aghast and chilling, but the theme is too. A country, where daughters are unwelcomed even by their would-be mothers, and sons are institutionally taught to treat women a ‘precious’ object, inferior to them, to lock it in vault, where sexual assault is a norm, where the rapist can roam with pride for raping someone and the raped be ashamed for being alive and even judiciary permits to rape again a victim in front of whole court, now by words and gestures; the blatant and nonchalant truth about the mediaeval mindset of people from different class as shown in the documentary must be unsettling for many so called Indians. Banning it aptly puts our nation on the top of the list of most intolerant countries on gender issues. We are so uncomfortable to listen our own maladies and so prompt to blame on others, specially foreigners. Right buddies?

And while writing this article, my ‘benevolent’ government does it again. As they know, I cannot handle my sexual urge and may do harm to myself or someone else, they ‘rightfully’ banned the film ‘The Fifty Shades of Grey’ in India. And as usual I have a question. What happened to those guys in government, who after watching it decided to ban for others? Have they become rapists or nymphos by now or are they behind bars for not able to control their sexual urge? And if not, what makes them believe that, I  cannot handle myself like them or we cannot control our urges like they did or all fellow Indians cannot behave like those few ‘demi-gods’ behaved!


Why government thinks that I’m stupid? Anyone?
                                                             

Comments

Sumit Mitra said…
It is amusing that government thinks they can really ban anything. Most of time, the moment they order to ban something people go to internet and get to look at it before they can execute the orders. And till date I haven't found a single thing worth banning. It's not something of a confidential nature that can threaten national security. Most of the time it's something, that would attract a wider public debate resulting a better society.....so let them ban our books and films and let them also see that how power-less they really are even after being in power.