An Un-Impressive Guy & A Bad Day



Sir, your coffee as you ordered.

The airhostess leaning against me is quite charming; eyes are professional yet pretend to be compassionate. I close the book I was reading. Narcopolis. I was fully engrossed in Jeet Thayil’s narrative prowess and brutally seductive way of storytelling. I also had a short stint with narcotics, when I was dealing with mounting frustration after coming to City of Joy, Kolkata. I can sense the smell of ganja. I can feel the smoke inside, putting a hallucinating blanket, taking the senses far away. I can imagine the view of my room beside a cowshed, like a dingy. I can relate the story with my life, I had. I can sense all of those here, thousands metres above surface, in a small Bombardier airplane, on the way to my office at Trichy from Delhi. Involuntarily my lips stretch a little. I know that, it is a perfect smile and I hear myself speaking in a formal tone, ‘Thank you Miss’.

The window seat, I am accommodated, is supposed to be pleasant but it is quite uncomfortable. The gentleman in front row has reclined his seat backwards right from boarding in Chennai. And, as this airplane is just a 78 seated small Bombardier, I am not at all ease for smooth movements of my both legs. I have tried to change my seat, but with butter soft politeness the cabin crew have rejected my request citing the reason of unavailability of seats. Though I have not pointed to the bit of obvious information that some seats are still empty, I understand their logic. I mean it is quite natural and expected that they would not entertain a guy with un-impressive looks, never heard of branded clothes and more over a handset, which is not touch-screen!! My goodness! Who is this guy? Just look at his mobile phone! And as I told you already, I understand them. ‘Coz I’m used to it. I get this looks everywhere. From swanky malls, metro to my friends and relatives. And surprisingly, despite these strongest advertisements by thousands of unofficial brand ambassadors of ‘touch-screen’ gadgets, I remain unaffected. My girlfriend terms me a miser. I smile, for there’s no point of reminding her about the costly gifts. My elder brother narrates his experience with a recently launched ‘touch-screen’ phone with zeal in voice, I never noticed. My friends, while we chat, periodically take out their phones or tablets and do something, I will never understand. They simply swipe their fingers on the screen, give a glimpse and then put it back in pocket after locking it! May be, they watch time. Then I have nothing to say, except why for hell they wear watches???

I look outside. The view is heavenly. The sky is cloudless and I can see the surface. I know right now some children below are looking up to sky to locate the plane. And I can imagine, if somebody locates, others are also following, forgetting what they were playing. During my childhood, it was like a passion. We were searching relentless in the sky and among clouds to find out the source of sound. I was looking at it until it disappeared in the horizon. It was my favorite pass time. And now, one of my most favorite moments is this, having a paradisiac view of earth above 10 Kms with a cup of smoky hot coffee.

A Bad Day Indeed!

There are two kinds of days. Good days and bad days. Today no doubt is a bad one. I had to wake up at 3.30 in morning to catch a flight from IGI Airport. I had to wait 3 hours in Chennai Airport for a connecting flight. I am sleep-deprived from the last 4 days. And, now I’m feeling to lie down somewhere, I don’t care where, and to close my eyes for the next few hours. But I know that’s not possible. After reaching airport, I have to go straight to my office; have to report to my section head; have to answer some formal and ridiculous queries of ever curious office staff regarding my girlfriend, who stays in Delhi; and moreover I have to wait till six o’ clock in evening, till everybody starts packing. I really don’t feel to go office today.

Oh!! Now my legs are really hurting. Probably they will cramp soon. I feel the strong urge of yelling, starting from the ‘gentle’man sitting or sleeping in front row. But, as they say in Murphy’s Law, when there is a chance to be wrong, it will be wrong. And today everything is wrong.

I remember the moistened black eyes of her, when I was about to shut the door back and wave her good bye. She had a smile on her lips and was standing like an angel, just woke up to reality. I felt to hold her a little longer and whisper that how much I’m going to miss her. But my cab was waiting outside for half an hour. I had to go. It was time. I pressed the button of elevator to go down. And, when I was all alone in the elevator room, I saw myself in the attached mirror and became sorry for me for being so helpless. I was breathing heavy and I could feel my heart pounding like a wall-clock! My mind was arguing me hard to return and to spend rest of the night with her under the soft blanket; she bought from Kashmir last year. The last few days have flown away just like a second. I wished not to leave her. I was feeling bad. But you know, after a long period of my life, I forget when the last time was, I realized that I seriously have fallen in love with someone. I had a flight to catch. I have to join my office today. And, frankly I’m telling you, this is wrong to me.

Sir, do you like to order something?

The same airhostess asks, this time with a tray full of chocolates, coffee cups, soup pouches, sandwiches. But, I am not hungry. When I was waiting in Chennai for a connecting flight for 3 hours, I took a plate of noodles. That’s enough for me, specially in morning. I nod my head and with the same professional smile, she pulls the tray ahead and asks the ‘gentle’man of my immediate front row. He wakes up from slumber and orders something, I can’t hear or just I’m not interested to. But a miracle happens. He receives the packet from the airhostess, sits straight for the first time and fortunately, pulls back his seat in sitting position. I instantly stretch my legs as far as I can. Oh God! How relaxing! I have stretched my legs probably million times before. But never was so pleasurable. I feel to offer my deep gratitude to the airhostess, but as I can’t do it loudly, I decide to buy something from her.

Excuse me miss. Can you please give me a chocolate?

I select a dark chocolate and after paying the amount, I look at her and smile, as I mean it. Thank you very much. I know, probably she will never get the difference. But I just want to thank her, and it is the best way I can.

What is Happiness?

I hear the pilot announcement. Plane will land in 15 minutes. Thank God! The ordeal is finally over. I look at outside. White clouds are everywhere. The weather is changing. I open the book I was reading. But, don’t know why, my mind is suddenly seems to be occupied by something else and everything seems as disturbing. I take a deep breath and close my eyes. I find myself walking on a quiet mountain road. And I see the green lake, shaped like a cow hoof and a small red tiled guest house beside it. And then I see her, walking like a child holding my arm in the background of scenic beauty of Kumayun. Oh man! I hate to miss her like this. I mean this is utter foolishness and if any of my friends comes to know this bit of fact, my reputation as a reasonable guy will be gone forever! I  feel bad and I know I’ll be not happy, at least for today.

Trichy Airport deals with few international and fewer domestic flights a day. But it’s importance lies in the fact that, it caters total Central and South Tamil Nadu, and that’s a vast area, similar to any medium sized European Country!! Most of the staff here are familiar to me, as I worked here before. I smile to them as I proceed to the terminal gate. My mind isn't with me today. I get a feeling that I’m far away from my home, and I feel worse. I don’t know when I’ll see her again, will roam in the crowded streets of Delhi and will dine in a new discovered restaurant after a good movie. I feel to go back right now. I enter the terminal gate.

Good morning sir. Everyone is calling you.

I look up perplexed and see a Sepoy, who worked in my section before, with a larger than mouth smile. I smile back, that perfect smile of mine.

Hey! How are you? Who is calling me?

I want to avoid everyone now. I’m feeling bad and I deserve that. I deserve to be alone. But sometimes that is the last thing you get. You remember Murphy's Law? I saw my friends in white uniform approaching me smiling. How do they know that I was coming!! They shake hands, closer ones give hugs. I can feel their warmth, as I know how nice they are. They offer me coffee, arrange a car and start joking around about my trip and others. My mind still isn’t with me. But I know it will come back. It has to. Because, somewhere inside I like these guys and those in my office. They are my present and happiness is nothing but the present.

I also join their infectious laughing.


Khurpatal: Lake like hoof of cow

Comments