An Asocial In A Wonderful Ceremony



I generally don’t attend marriages. I remember to stand only twice with grooms and brides on decorated podiums after I stood for the last time as a bachelor with Taniya before the perplexed faces of our parents. And both the time, my office colleagues were turned into revelers and the time was spent more on food and booze than meeting and greeting the newlywed couple.

But this was different. And frankly, I never did attend something like this before. I had two women with me, both dressed gorgeously. Their beauty was swaying through the stealing glances of passersby and I wondered how they could ooze so much confidence. I looked at our friend, crisscrossed on a make-shift ritual podium, jeweled with golds and covered with bright lehenga. I could see only a portion of her face through the maze of heads surrounding her. I could hear the chant of priest and see lingering smoke rising slowly only to sparse at ceiling. I looked around. People were everywhere – laughing – chatting - eating. Assurances were sipping through their flawless suits, sarees, lehengas. I observed approval nods of solemn faces surrounding my friend. The priest seemed to be satisfied. I noticed a beautiful girl, clad in bright red saree seated on a chair next to the ritual place. Did she look at me? Maybe.

I felt uneasy. I stood up and walked outside. What am I doing here? I headed upstairs towards washroom. I needed some quiet moments and definitely a mirror. I must be looking odd and funny. I reminded myself that I didn’t belong here. Metro station was not so far, I could easily sneak out before anybody could even notice. Does anybody care?

Shruti is Taniya’s favorite. And it’s a miracle that she has accepted me as her friend too. Today was her engagement day, and she invited me to witness her happiness - the day when she solemnized to be a wife, beginning of a new journey – uncharted, unmapped and full of new adventures. And I wanted to be a part of this, on behalf of me and Taniya – to wish Shruti and her husband a wonderful life ahead. But then here I was, in front of a mirror in a secluded washroom watching my reflection, thinking how to sneak out from this place!

The disorder was inside me. It has been now a part of myself. Reflection on mirror showed a guy smartly dressed with workable face and purple glass. I knew, on better days this guy could even attract some glances. But there was a squall brewing inside and it could burst anytime. It was a total nonsense but could create chaos. I’d better handle it.

I took some scary long breaths and looked straight into my eyes. You can’t run away stupid. Stop this bullshit.

The command was effective, as if it came straight through the stern lips of Taniya. I hanged a blistering smile on my face. One of my favorites. Little popping teeth and perfectly synchronized lips, eyes and cheeks. I was happy.

Once in the hall again, among all the clatters, smokes and smells of food, I sat with Janisha and Urmilla and laughed at their jokes. They were mentioning how Shruti looked shy. I had some jokes on my sleeves too. I ate some snacks and then clapped when Shruti exchanged rings with her fiancée. They looked elegant. I handed over the oversized flower bouquet to them and the cameraman instructed to pose. I stood behind them.


And then when lunch was over, and we were about to leave, Shruti came over, cautiously holding her classy lehenga with two hands. She looked tired and elated. She looked content. She introduced her fiancée, who was not only handsome, but turned out to be really a delightful person. We instantly had a liking on him. They must be a wonderful couple.

And when Urmilla and Janisha got down at their stations leaving behind fragrances of their charms, I droopily stared at my absolutely discharged mobile. Shit. No music. I looked aside. A girl was looking this way. To me? Maybe not.

I was glad that I didn’t sneak out today. Watching a good friend being happy, probably is a lifelong treasure. I’d miss that.


I decided to hang another smile. This time not so creepy – a friendly one. I looked at the girl. It was a long way to home.

Comments

Janisha said…
Good good!! Kamaal ka likha h.
Very interesting blog. A lot of blogs I see these days don't really provide anything that attract others, but I'm most definitely interested in this one. Just thought that I would post and let you know.